Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Touchdown and Downton

Did our beloved Masterpiece Classic jump a small shark the other night?

Watching a new episode after seeing Eli Manning pull out a victory in the Super Bowl may have set a high dramatic standard, but what was all that hugger-mugger about a lost heir with makeup like Quasimdo showing up at the end of World War I?

Picky, picky maybe, but the Giants have their critics,too. As they prepare for their march through Manhattan’s Canyon of Heroes, a chorus of complaints arises about the failure to hold a similar parade for homecoming Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.

Even victory has its dark side. The best answer may be to watch the Giant homecoming with guilt and take another look at Downton Abbey online. Maybe we missed something.

2 comments:

Shaw Kenawe said...

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the writing in Downton Abbey 2.0 is wanting?

I know it's an upper crust soap opera, but really. Bates' wife found dead after Bates' visit to her? How long are they going to drag that out? Poor Anna.

And they've brought back Livinia just when I thought Mary would ditch Sir Richard for the valorous Matthew Crawley.

But I can't stop watching. What's wrong with me?

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that Downton Abbey may have jumped the shark with that particular storyline but I'm still enjoying the program immensely.

Actually, when it comes right down to it, it's a fantasy that whisks me, and others I'm sure, away from the mayhem we find ourselves living with on a daily basis. I find it a soothing hour and I'll look forward to watching each week until Season 2 ends, and then I'll be ready to enjoy it all over again when Season 3 begins!