Robert Stein 1924-2014

Contact Information

If anyone has comments, questions or condolences, please feel free to send a private message to the family at

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

"Oh, to be 80 Again!"

Is Facebook trying to tell me something? In my “Find Friends” section, more and more names of sixtyish-and-older actresses keep appearing and I am reminded of the legendary Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes’ remark at 90 as a beautiful woman passed by, “Oh, to be 80 again!”

Following the lead of my teen-aged grandson who counts his age in half-years, I am only 89.5 but am resisting the impulse to “friend” those ladies, some of whom I actually know. (I talked about Julie Christie rudely in a post and have wanted to apologize ever since.)

Calling attention to Justice Holmes, I will use it to cite some of his real wisdom:

“Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society.”

“The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.”

“Young man, the secret of my success is that at an early age I discovered that I was not God.”

Even at a late age, that will do. Facebook, get thee behind me!

1 comment:

KP said...

I suggest you lean inward and friend them ...

"I say "High", you say "Low" ... You say "Why?" And I say "I don't know" ... Oh no ... You say "Goodbye" and I say "Hello, hello, hello."