Tuesday, November 05, 2013

"Oh, to be 80 Again!"

Is Facebook trying to tell me something? In my “Find Friends” section, more and more names of sixtyish-and-older actresses keep appearing and I am reminded of the legendary Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes’ remark at 90 as a beautiful woman passed by, “Oh, to be 80 again!”

Following the lead of my teen-aged grandson who counts his age in half-years, I am only 89.5 but am resisting the impulse to “friend” those ladies, some of whom I actually know. (I talked about Julie Christie rudely in a post and have wanted to apologize ever since.)

Calling attention to Justice Holmes, I will use it to cite some of his real wisdom:

“Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society.”

“The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.”

“Young man, the secret of my success is that at an early age I discovered that I was not God.”

Even at a late age, that will do. Facebook, get thee behind me!

1 comment:

KP said...

I suggest you lean inward and friend them ...

"I say "High", you say "Low" ... You say "Why?" And I say "I don't know" ... Oh no ... You say "Goodbye" and I say "Hello, hello, hello."