Monday, February 11, 2008

Bush: "I'm Just a Simple President"

George W. Bush certified John McCain as a "true conservative" yesterday.

In emeritus mode on Fox News, the President told Chris Wallace his successor-in-waiting "is very strong on national defense" and "tough fiscally. He believes the tax cuts ought to be permanent. He is pro-life. His principles are sound and solid as far as I'm concerned."

Asked about resistance from the Rush Limbaugh-Ann Coulter wing of the GOP, the President was confident McCain can "convince people that he is a solid conservative and I'll be glad to help him if he is the nominee."

In view of Bush's iffy record on the domestic agenda of the Rabid Right, that may not solve McCain's problem, but the Decider is upbeat about the party's prospects for November.

He pooh-poohed Barack Obama's popularity with his customary political acumen and accuracy: "The only foreign policy thing I remember he said was he's going to attack Pakistan and embrace Ahmadinejad."

"Why do you think he's gotten this far if people don't know what he stands for?" Wallace asked.

Bush's answer was on the money. "You're the pundit," he said. "I'm just a simple president."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I repeat. I no longer find anything humorous about anything that "simple" Republican President George W Bush says or does.