Sunday, March 30, 2008

Wake Me When It's Over

As someone who has lived through and been involved in 15 Presidential contests in an adult lifetime, I'm ready to say "Uncle" to this one. After more than a year of being water-boarded by campaign trivia, I give up. Prepare a confession, and I'll sign it.

I've stopped caring about Obama's pastor, Hillary's fibs and McCain's temper. I don't want to hear or write another word about Florida, Michigan, super-delegates, caucuses and primaries. Brainwash my memories of the debates and Wolf Blitzer, Chris Matthews, Lou Dobbs, Keith Olbermann, Joe Scarbororough and their chattering-head panelists.

Make me forget I ever heard about red phones, Vicki Iseman, Tony Rezko and, above all, Bill Clinton.

Give me back those halcyon days of just bashing Bush, caricaturing Cheney and deploring Karl Rove. Life was so much sweeter and simpler back then.

The way this thing is shaping up, nobody is going to be the next president or deserves to be. When they start talking seriously about resurrecting Al Gore, we're in Easter territory. Praying for miracles has never worked in presidential politics.

Meanwhile, I'm going to stop reading newspapers and blogs, call the cable company and see if there is a V-chip to block off CNN, MSNBC and Fox News, and spend these Spring Fever days watching Laura seduce Paul on HBO's "In Treatment" and wishing they had picked a less doughy-looking John Adams than Paul Giamatti. If all else fails, there's always Turner Classic Movies.

Wake me when it's over--gently.

1 comment:

Liza said...

I totally agree.

I can't stand it anymore. Iraq is on the brink of civil war again and mainstream media is dissecting every sentence the candidates speak, looking for a story that spares them the trouble of reporting on real issues.

They are like alcoholics and drug addicts who have to hit rock bottom before they can get better. In the meantime, we suffer.

I'm tired of mainstream media running the elections.